Let's Get Some Brunch

I don't know about you, but I have very recently become obsessed with going out to brunch. Just the idea of it gets me so excited. I mainly think it is because A) I love breakfast food but I don't like to eat very early in the morning so brunch time is just perfect and B) Who doesn't love a good Mimosa?

I didn't really start going out to brunch with my friends until I started college. To be honest, I didn't really understand what the hype was, even then...until I finally became 21 and was starting to become more of an adult. I don't really know why; I think it's because it began to feel like a "mature" weekend activity where you would enjoy a good meal, some alcohol, and catch up with your besties.

The older I got, the more I loved going to brunch and now it's sort of become a routine where I go several times a month (#NoShame). So, I'm always looking for new fun places to try. If I really love a spot, I will most likely go back to it, but for the most part I've really just been loving trying a new place every time. So, I've compiled a list of some of my favorite brunch places below:

Sunday Brunch Style

One of my favorite things about going out to brunch is the fact that you can dress up in a cute outfit to meet your friends and snap some really cute pics. Of course some places are more casual than others, however, it all depends on the vibe of the place itself and how you feel too. The first four places I'll share with you fall under the category that I like to call Sunday Style Brunch. This doesn't necessarily mean you go on Sundays, but it refers more to the fact that you can make it a little fancy, dress up and enjoy a nice sangria with your food while you sit outside and enjoy the beautiful city that is New York. They are in no particular order, but these are a few spots that I really enjoyed. 

1. Alfie's 

Location: 800 9th Ave New York, NY
Price: $14-$20
Rating: 9.5/10
Brunch available weekends 10am - 3pm

If you get a chance to go to Alfie's  I would suggest trying to get a table outside (weather permitting of course). The inside has a cool rustic bar vibe which is nice, but the patio felt more appropriate for brunch, especially on a nice sunny day. The food is absolutely delicious and each brunch menu entrée  comes with a complimentary bloody Mary or Mimosa.

2. The Flying Cock 

Location: 497 3rd Ave, New York, NY
Price: $12-$16
Rating: 8.5/10
Brunch available weekends 11am - 4pm

One of the reasons I liked this place so much is for the fun name itself. Other than that, the food is also quite delicious. I had the chocolate chip pancakes which were really good and very filling; however, I also had a bit of my friend's breakfast waffle sandwich and it was also very yummy. The drinks were not included, however, they have some great selection of cocktails to go with your brunch. The place was great and again we chose to sit outside. Though the space was a little tight in the patio, it was still very cute. I would also suggest getting here early because the wait time is about 45 minutes. But if you ask me, it is totally worth it!

3. Cornelia St. Cafe

Location: 29 Cornelia Street, Greenwich Village, NY
Price: $11-$16 ($27 pre-fix menu option available)
Rating: 8/10
Brunch available on Saturdays and Sundays

Cornelia St. Cafe is a cute spot in downtown Manhattan. Whether you would like to eat inside or outside is your preference; however, for this place I don't mind either or. I've tried both savory and sweet plates when I've came here for brunch, and I must say that I personally prefer the savory plates like this delicious "Farmer's Breakfast" dish. There are other great food options available as well as a few drink selections.

4. HK Hell's Kitchen
Location: 523 9th ave, New York, NY
Price: $7-$21
Rating: 9/10
Brunch available on weekends from 9am - 5pm

One of the reasons I really like this place is because of the ambiance. The place is big and its white decor and all around windows make the place seem brighter and spacious. Other than the food tasting amazing, it's also great because they have a wide selection of food: from more breakfast style food to more lunch style food like burgers and salads. So you have a lot of options depending on whatever you're in the mood for. They also had great latin music the last time I was there which was a plus in my opinion ;) 


Casual Brunch

As I mentioned before, sometimes brunch can be more of a casual activity. So, I've also made a small list of some of my more casual favorite places to go have brunch :)

1. Tribeca's Kitchen

Location: 200 Church St., New York
Price: $17 Pre-fix menu
Rating: 8/10

One thing I didn't know about this place is that there were basically 3-4 different choices of pre-fix menus separated by dish categories (ex: eggs, sweet dishes, etc). When I saw the menu online, it didn't show that so I was a little confused when I got there. Anyway, aside from that, the pre-fix was decently priced being at about $17-$18, which included a complimentary drink like a mimosa, sangria, or bloody mary. I went for the sangria and it was delicious. The food was actually pretty good. My favorite thing was the French toast; It was one of the best ones I've had.

2. The Wild Son

Location: 53 Little West 12th Street, New York, NY
Price: $10 - $15
Rating: 8/10

In my opinion, this isn't the best place to have actual brunch if you are looking for more breakfast food style, however, I do love it because it's pretty casual and it is a cute little spot near the high line. They have a few choices of breakfast sandwiches. For example, mine was the "Good Morning Sunshine" and it had a sunny side up egg, avocado, bacon, and tomatoes. It tasted amazing and I would highly recommend it. I would also suggest to get there early because there is about a 30-40 minute wait time, especially on the weekends.

3. The Grey Dog

Location: It is a chain restaurant so they have 4 different locations you can choose from
Price: $10-$15
Rating: 9/10
Breakfast food available everyday

I'm sure many of you have already heard of  The Grey Dog as it is quite popular. It is absolutely one of my top choices to have breakfast/brunch and it is super casual so you can go whenever you want. I love their food options and they give you a good amount. It is a great place to go with a few friends and order different dishes so you can try a little bit of everything. Especially when you will want to order everything on the menu (trust me). Their breakfast platter is by far my favorite; however, I also really enjoyed their avocado toast!


I hope this post gave you a few ideas on where to go next time you want to go to brunch. Especially if you want to try new and different places. I'm sure I'll be back again with another list as I continue my mission to find the best brunch places in New York City!

- xoxo, Diana

Comments

Popular Posts