A "Wicked" Outfit

Have you ever fallen in a love with a character, whether it was from a book, movie, or play, so much that part of you wants to actually be them? Well, I personally have many times. There are several reasons for it; sometimes it's because I identify myself in the character and other times it's because I like their personality, style, or their life in general.

One of my favorite characters of all times comes from one of my favorite musicals ever called Wicked. I am so in love with this show that I have gone to see it twice, read the book version, and even have the soundtrack downloaded on my phone. Yes, the obsession is real! If you have also seen the show then I'm sure you understand me because I haven't met a single person who has seen it and not fallen in love. If you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend that you do! :) Anyway, as I was saying, one of my favorite characters ever is from that show and that character happens to be Elphaba. Before I tell you why I like her so much, let me give you a little summary of the story line.

Wicked is always described as the untold story of the witches of Oz and that is exactly what it is. Many of us have either seen or at least heard about the famous movie "The Wizard of Oz". We all know about Dorothy, the cowardly lion, the heartless tin man, and the brainless scarecrow; however, Wicked tells us the story of two other important characters that aren't seen much in the movie but still have very important roles. We learn about the lives of Glinda, the good witch, and Elphaba, the "wicked" witch, before Dorothy and Toto came to the magical land of Oz. We also learn the back story of how each character became who they are and are shocked by many surprises along the way.

In the musical, we see each character under a new light, including Elphaba. We all know her as the evil witch but in reality she is just an outcast who is misunderstood by the people around her, including her family. She feels lonely and it takes her a long time to adjust and trust people. I've felt that way before and I've had a hard time fitting in at times. I think that is why I relate to her so much. I see part of me in her and I think many other people do too. Her character is easy to relate to and her story makes you fall in love with her. She makes you learn about compassion and understanding.

Not only are the characters in the play amazing, but their costumes are out of this world as well. They are so insanely detailed and the designs are true to each character's personality. Of course, regular people don't have their own personal costume designer or stylist; however, that doesn't mean that we can't dress like our favorite characters. Elphaba's outfits aren't the most stylish but they are great uses of inspiration nonetheless. I used her main outfits from Act 1 and Act 2 as inspiration to create wearable outfit options for regular people like us.


Outfit #1

Inspiration


This is Act 1 Elphaba. She just arrived to Chiz University. She is shy and is trying to fit in and ignore the fact that people think she is abnormal because of her green skin.

My Interpretation


I kept the look a little conservative to stay true to Elphaba's character, but I also modified a few things to update the look and make it a little more stylish. I kept the blue blazer look but I changed the color of the skirt because I didn't want the whole outfit to be just one color. I thought the black paired well with the blue and I also thought that the fuller skirt would give the outfit a little more curves rather than the very sharp rectangle shape of the original look. I used a navy blue crop top to go under the blazer instead of a turtle neck because Elphaba uses the turtle neck to hide her green skin, but a normal woman doesn't really need to cover herself. So, although the turtle neck could still be an option, I personally think that the outfit is a little more appealing with a V-neck top. A crop top may be a good choice because the skirt is high wasted. I added a pair of sheer black tights to go with the semi-conservative look. In the musical she wears combat boot-like shoes but I thought this ankle length boot with a heel added a bit more a feminine touch. I replaced her luggage bag with a rectangular brown leather handbag. Finally, since this is "shy" Elphaba, I kept the makeup to neutral and basic eye shadow colors.

Blazer: Blk Dnm - $529
Skirt: Maison Rabih Kayrouz - $1915
Top: Topshop - $15
Tights: Spanx Haute Contour - $58
Boots: H&M - $89
Bag: Fossil - $298


Outfit #2

Inspiration


Act 2 Elphaba is a little different then she is inAct 1. She becomes more assertive and very daring. She starts to take charge of her life and we see her outfits change as well because they get more intricate and detailed. 


My Interpretation


One of the things I love most about her Act 2 costume is the texture. It has a lot of layers, ruffles, and lace. I immediately knew that I didn't want to copy the look completely so instead of choosing a lace dress, I went with a 3 piece outfit: a skirt, a top, and a jacket. The costume in the show still keeps that conservative feel but I wanted to make this one a little more daring. I really loved that high waist lace skirt paired with the lace crop top. It is very form fitting and it is great for showing of curves and accentuating certain parts of the body. Because Elphaba's dress is made out of different layers of fabric, I decided to add a lace jacket as my version of layers for this look. I love the details of the sleeves and the peplum bottom. The emerald green shoes and stud earrings represent her green skin tone and they also go very well with the black. As for makeup, I decided to go with a little more of a bolder look to complement the outfit. A smokey eyeshadow look intensifies the eyes and the red lip just adds another pop of color. 

Top: Jane Norman - $40
Skirt: Dolce and Gabbana - $1212
Jacket: Nly Trend - $40
Shoes: Manolo Blahnik - $965
Earrings: Kate Spade - $48

So, if you got to dress like your favorite character, who would you dress like and how would you interpret their style? 

                                                                                                                                                 - Diana :)

Credits:

Collages made on polyvore.com
Pictures: Elphaba 1

Comments

  1. This was such a creative idea! I love how you took inspiration from the character and recreated her costumes into fashion forward outfits. I think the looks you put together are very accurate representations of Elphaba as a modern day women. Your content was very well written and interesting to read as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Your take on these pieces into something modern for women to wear is creatively done, from wardrobe to makeup. I can just image feeling a bit of Elphaba in each outfit while walking down the street!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your interpretation of costumes into everyday looks. The outfits you created are very fashion forward and are perfect for someone to wear while they are out and about. The second look is my favorite because of the way you accessorized using an emerald green color. I think this color really suits Wicked and it also makes the look appear elegant and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wicked is such a fantastic show! My sister and I did the ticket lottery and actually won to buy front row seats for $30 each. We ended up front row, dead center, and it was the first time I was seeing the show! Needless to say, it was AMAZING. Anyway, you're outfits were a great, modern take on the outfits Elphaba wore in the show. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts