Heartbreaker: Marina and the Diamonds Inspired Outfit

I have recently developed an obsession with Marina and the Diamonds. I actually discovered her last summer but I only ever listened to one or two of her songs. This year, I decided to give her music a chance so I added her to my pandora stations. After listening to a few songs from her albums, I fell in love. Her songs are so catchy and her voice is so unique. I was never really not indie pop or indie rock but I really like her music.



One of my all time favorite songs from her is called "How to be a Heartbreaker" (actually playing as I am writing this) from her album Electra Heart.  I have probably listened to this song and watched the music video more than 100 times. Apart from the song itself, I really like her wardrobe. Her style in general is very unique: her hair styles are 60s inspired and her wardrobe is daring and bold. In this particular video, her style is 50s or 60s rocker chick. I am so obsessed with this look that I decided to recreate it with garments I already have in my own closet.

I decided to do two variations of the look to give you more options. The looks are a combination of two of the looks she wears in the video. The first one incorporates a black crop top with a black skater skirt. In the video she uses a tight leather skirt but I thought the skater was easier to wear. She also just wears the skirt with the crop top but I decided to add the leather jacker to add more of a rocker look. I paired the outfit with a pair of mid heel combat boot style booties. Finally, to give the look Marina's signature touch, I imitated her hairstyle by adding a ribbon to my hair. I chose a pink ribbon to add more of a feminine touch.


Jacket: Zara
Skirt: H&M
   Top: Hollister 


The variation to this look would be to add a white crop top. Another look Marina wears in the video is a white top, leather skirt again, and this is where she adds the leather jacket. I pretty much recreated the whole look but I decided to change the color of the ribbon because I thought it looked better with the white and black. It is a great standout color.


Jacket: Zara
Top: Aeropostale (Bethany Mota collection)
Skirt: H&M
Boots: Rock and Candy




I had so much fun recreating these looks and getting to dress up like Marina. They are so easy to put together and I'm sure you already have most of these items in your close. I hope this gives you a bit of inspiration and you recreate this look or your own favorite singer's look. Just remember to have fun and personalize each outfit to fit your own personal style!


                                                                                                                                                    - Diana :)






Comments

  1. I love Marina and the Diamonds! I saw her in concert before she said goodbye to Electra Heart, and you are right she does have a really cute stye. I think you nailed her heart breaker look and I like that you changed the ribbon color in the two outfits because it gave a personal touch to the looks you created.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts